Monday, August 17, 2009

"… of your dreams"

When I listen to the radio or watch TV, I often hear that something is "of your dreams". Yet it is almost never something that I dream about. The car of your dreams : I can't ever remember dreaming of a car; ditto for house or TV or vacation.

Most of my dreams are action dreams; usually I am a hero or a hero sidekick where we defeat the evil forces of evil. I remember dreaming about our youngest son after he died; often asking him wasn't he dead & he assuring me that he wasn't; a dream that often lasted shortly after I woke.

But I guess I am not the audience that the commercials are for.

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean

“A goal is a dream with a deadline.” Napoleon Hill

“Love is an attempt to change a piece of a dream-world into reality.” Henry David Thoreau

Acts 2:17
AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says,
'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND;
AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY,
AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS,
AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS

dream (n) a series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a person's mind during sleep • [in sing. ] a state of mind in which someone is or seems to be unaware of their immediate surroundings
• a cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal
(v)1 experience dreams during sleep • indulge in daydreams or fantasies, typically about something greatly desired
2 [with negative ] contemplate the possibility of doing something or that something might be the case
ORIGIN Middle English : of Germanic origin, related to Dutch droom and German Traum, and probably also to Old English drēam [joy, music.]

No comments:

Post a Comment