Saturday, April 25, 2009

Break your Mother's Back

When I was young there was a rhyme "Step on a crack, break your Mother's Back." I find that when I am walking on a sidewalk I still try to avoid the cracks. I wonder if the kids now a days still do that. Did I tell my kids this rhyme? Do they tell their kids? What if you are mad at your mother, do you purposefully step on all the cracks? I show that we watch sometimes is Monk, in his opening credits he is avoiding the cracks on a small rock sidewalk.

This is the 100th. post on this blog. I thought a non-political entry was appropriate!

rhyme (n) correspondence of sound between words or the endings of words, esp. when these are used at the ends of lines of poetry. • a short poem in which the sound of the word or syllable at the end of each line corresponds with that at the end of another. • poetry or verse marked by such correspondence of sound : the clues were written in rhyme. • a word that has the same sound as another.
ORIGIN Middle English rime, from Old French, from medieval Latin rithmus, via Latin from Greek rhuthmos (see rhythm ). The current spelling was introduced in the early 17th cent. under the influence of rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment