Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Genesis

I have decided to lead a Bible Study on the Book of Genesis for the next several weeks.  It is a very interesting book.  It starts with the Creation story, followed by the fall of man, Noah and the Ark, Babel, Abram, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph.  It has the first murder, first marriage, first my wife is my sister, etc.

I have ordered some books from Alibris.com and Amazon.com to help me (hopefully give me a entire study without work; so far it still requires a lot of work on my part with 2 more books to come).  The first book that came was Thru the Bible Vol. I (Genesis to Deuteronomy) at least that is what I ordered.  What came was Vol. IV (Matthew to Romans);  I told the people that I ordered from that Vol. IV was not as useful in a Bible Study on Genesis.  They emailed me back saying that they were sorry for the mistake, but they did not have Vol. I any more so they were refunding my money.  They said to donate the Vol. IV to my favorite charity since the postage to send it back was more than the book was worth.  Even though my favorite charity starts at home,  I will probably donate to the Church library.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)


“In Genesis, it says that it is not good for a man to be alone; but sometimes it is a great relief.”  John Barrymore

“And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:9).”

It is not good that the man should be alone.  Genesis, 2. 18

Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age.  Genesis, 18. 11 

genesis (n)  the origin or mode of formation of something 
Genesis the first book of the Bible, which includes the stories of the creation of the world, Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, and the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph.
ORIGIN late Old English , via Latin from Greek, ‘generation, creation, nativity, horoscope,’ from the base of gignesthai ‘be born or produced.’ The name was given to the first book of the Old Testament in the Greek translation (the Septuagint), hence in the Latin translation (the Vulgate)

No comments:

Post a Comment