Saturday, March 27, 2010

Brand Name

A lot of the time, we shop at ALDI's for food items, ALDI's brand name names are things like Grandessa, Fit n Active, and Cambridge.  In general, I tend to buy the generic items.  The quality is not bad and of course they are cheaper.

I was thinking on my morning dog walk about what items that I only buy Brand Names.  In computers, I usually buy Apple which is not a generic since it is more expensive and (in my opinion) elite than a PC.  Clothes, I buy things like Basic Edition.  Cars, I usually buy American last 2 were Voyagers; sort of a generic vs. BMW or Lexus.  Our House is very generic, very uninspiring 3 small bedrooms and a basement.  For Food, my lovely wife likes Lipton Black Tea and a Organic Yoghurt, but meat, milk and vegetables are from local stores and generic.  Our TV is a Panasonic.  Our bikes are Nashbar and Performance; not the Brand Name Cannondale, etc..

I find that Brand Name items are often higher quality but not enough to overcome the price difference.


As a child, I was always playing some generic child. Susan Olsen



I think there's something great and generic about goldfish. They're everybody's first pet. Paul Rudd



A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well. Jeff Bezos



Your premium brand had better be delivering something special, or it's not going to get the business. Warren Buffett



Our success is a direct result of knowing how to market a brand and having the right people representing the brand. Greg Norman



generic (adj)
1 characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific
• (of goods, esp. medicinal drugs) having no brand name; not protected by a registered trademark
2 Biology of or relating to a genus.
ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from French générique, from Latin genus, gener- ‘stock, race.’

No comments:

Post a Comment