Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rumors

When I go to Yahoo! Sports, I always look at the rumors and the headlines.  It seems that the rumors are always about someone might join some other team or someone is going to be traded to who.  If you check the headlines a few days later almost all of them are wrong; instead of player A going to team B, it is player B going to team A.

When I go to political sites, it seems that most of the articles are also rumors.  Pelosi has only 200 votes of the needed 216 for the health care bill or the next day she has over 216.  Obama will push for immigration this year and the next day he will wait for after the election.

It seems to me that Rumors are actually Opinions and vice versa.  How much of what you "know" are actually rumors?


Trying to squash a rumor is like trying to unring a bell.”  Shana Alexander



“Nothing is swifter than rumor.”  Horace



“Rumor is not always wrong”  Publius Cornelius Tacitus



“Nobody believes a rumor here in Washington until it's officially denied.” Edward Cheyfitz



RUMOR, n.  A favorite weapon of the assassins of character.
    Sharp, irresistible by mail or shield,
        By guard unparried as by flight unstayed,
    O serviceable Rumor, let me wield
        Against my enemy no other blade.
    His be the terror of a foe unseen,
        His the inutile hand upon the hilt,
    And mine the deadly tongue, long, slender, keen,
        Hinting a rumor of some ancient guilt.
    So shall I slay the wretch without a blow,
    Spare me to celebrate his overthrow,
    And nurse my valor for another foe.
                                                           Joel Buxter

No comments:

Post a Comment