Monday, March 29, 2010

Choices

Good or Bad choices can effect history.

When the Detroit Pistons had the second choice in the NBA draft, they chose Darko Milicic a 7 foot center from Europe.  He was very young and raw and the Pistons thought he might be Dirk Nowitzki type player.  It turned out that he was a bust and eventually the Pistons got rid of him and he is now at best a journey player not a star.  Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade were the three picks taken after him.  All are stars approaching super star status.  Right now the Pistons are near last place due in large measure to that decision; with any of the other picks they would be right in the thick of things.  Bad Choice!

When I was in college I met a lovely girl.  She was (and is) smart, kind, and beautiful.  I met her on a date with a friend who would later be my roommate.  She was his date on a double date with me and my date (I don't remember who was my date) to a movie.  Later I got to know her better, I even helped her with a Calculus exam for Social Science.  She eventually was a roommate with the girl that my friend (above) ended up marrying.

I asked that beautiful girl to marry me and she said YES.  This is the woman that I have been married to for over 41 years.  We have had 3 children and now have 5 grandsons.  She is a wonderful mother and helped raise our kids who married excellent spouses (ones who are worthy of them).  Good Choice!

“There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.”



“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”  Joanne Kathleen Rowling



“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise.” Robert Fritz


“Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”


“When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels”


The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.  George Eliot


It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny. Jean Nidetch



choice (n) act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities
• the right or ability to make, or possibility of making, such a selection 
• a range of possibilities from which one or more may be selected 
• a course of action, thing, or person that is selected or decided upon 
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French chois, from choisir ‘choose,’ of Germanic origin and related to choose

1 comment: