Sunday, May 20, 2012

Voice 2


Along with the pitch problem, there are 2 staffs; a treble clef and bass clef.  These are right above each other (treble on top).  You might think that they are an octave apart (at least I might think that), but they aren't.  The sopranos use the treble staff but tenors and basses (one of which I usually am) usually use the bottom one, but sometimes we use the top.  To top that off, sometimes we switch during the song!  Plus there are flats and sharps, most times these are hidden in the start of the staffs, but sometimes they put them on individual notes.

Along with dynamics, there is duration.  The left hand picture on the bottom has the note durations in order; whole note, half, quarter, eight, 1/16th. and 1/32nd. notes.  1/16th notes are usually very fast, they are so quick that they are usually gone before I can look at them; this means that I am behind everyone else and it is not that easy (for me) to figure out where I should be in Swedish. To add to the confusion (for me) they sometimes put little dots next to notes to add 1/2 of the duration.  Then there is 4/4, 3/4,2/2,2/4 etc. time which tell (some people) how many notes of what duration per measure.

So I look at the (especially) Swedish word, try to figure out how to pronounce it, then I look at the note (pitch) and try to figure out where that note is (how high or low), then I look at the duration (this process takes some time for me) and the dynamic (they use > and < or cresc or dim or who knows what else to increase or decrease the volume) then go forth with song!

Singing use to be simpler when I knew less!  Just sing along with the majority of people and follow the melody (don't get me started on how easy the sopranos usually have it, they usually sing the melody!). 

It might be hard to recognize from this rant but I really do enjoy singing with the Swedisg Glee Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment