Wednesday, March 11, 2009

AARP

At one time we belonged to AARP; we had AOL & got a discount that paid for AARP.  We no longer belong, they seem to be mainly a sales organization for various companies : insurance, flowers, etc. Plus at one time the senior citizens were considered better off than the average family (before P.O. helped the stock market tank); so it irritated me that they were pushing for programs that only helped older Americans not society.  When the prescription drug program was passed, they were not satisfied at the amount and would be working to increase the benefits.  I am for helping those who need it but not for programs which cover everyone.

Of course, it is an organization for older people so it is their mission plus older people vote more often which gets them more than normal people.

“When I was young, I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know it is” Oscar Wilde

“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened” Winston Churchill

“The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.”  Oscar Wilde

OLD, (adj) In that stage of usefulness which is not inconsistent with general inefficiency, as an old man. Discredited by lapse of time and offensive to the popular taste, as an old book.
"Old books? The devil take them!" Goby said.
"Fresh every day must be my books and bread."
Nature herself approves the Goby rule
And gives us every moment a fresh fool.
Harley Shum  (DD)

No comments:

Post a Comment