Monday, March 2, 2009

Ask not

In 1961, John F Kennedy in his inaugural speech said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

It seems to me that we are doing just the opposite, President Obama wants the government to do everything for us (at the cost of our liberty).

JFK was talking to the "Greatest Generation" who had seen the great depression; put aside their lives to win WWII and made the US the greatest power with their ambition & drive.  But Obama is speaking to the whining generation who complain if they have to miss TV because they were too lazy to get a Digital to Analog conversion box in the 5 years or so they were told it was needed.  The generation who are willing to do anything to make a better environment except reduce energy use or stop polluting, etc..  They are willing to make any sacrifices as long as others make them for them.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. 
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man. JFK 1/20/61

GREAT, (adj)
"I'm great," the Lion said -- "I reign
The monarch of the wood and plain!"

The Elephant replied: "I'm great --
No quadruped can match my weight!"

"I'm great -- no animal has half
So long a neck!" said the Giraffe.

"I'm great," the Kangaroo said -- "see
My femoral muscularity!"

The 'Possum said: "I'm great -- behold,
My tail is lithe and bald and cold!"

An Oyster fried was understood
To say: "I'm great because I'm good!"

Each reckons greatness to consist
In that in which he heads the list,

And Vierick thinks he tops his class
Because he is the greatest ass.
Arion Spurl Doke (DD)

No comments:

Post a Comment