Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Guilt

At our Church (Trinity United Lutheran Church), I run / created our website, lead two Bible studies (Tuesday morn & early Sunday morning), lead an after Church Bible studies ( so far on Daniel & Revelations basically 2 per month), & try to sing in the choir (I'm in the choir but don't have the best voice or musical attitude) and do a few minor things here & there.

I feel guilty because there are so many other people who seem to do so much more (we have a small congregation in a large beautiful Church building).

I've been asked to be on the Church council (12 members [wonder where that number came from]) and have refused to do it.

Personally I think I would not be good there since I don't like working in groups (must be my military training) & those who know me can testify I can be a real pain in the neck with my strong opinions.

The study today was on Mary mother of Jesus & how she took on a great duty when she was a young girl; how she said "may it be done to me according to your word" or "“Let it be with me according to your word”(Luke 1:38 NASB/NRSV).

So I feel guilty!


guilt (n) the state of having done a wrong or committed an offense; culpability, legal or ethical;  a painful feeling of self-reproach resulting from a belief that one has done something wrong or immoral

1 comment:

  1. Why? Why do we do this to ourselves? Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full," (John 10:10b) and if you're living in guilt, that doesn't sound like life to the full. I have learned that your ministry should be whatever it is that is at the intersection of your gifts and your passion. Quite frankly, I think you're dead on with the church website: right at that intersection. You are doing exactly what you were made to do.

    And I agree that you wouldn't be the best person for Council (me either, by the way), but that's because I know you better than those people who have asked you to be on it. The thing is, there are others who were made to be on church council. They'll find someone else to fill that role--they always have, right? And if they don't, well, then, maybe they don't need 12 people.

    It is impossible to do enough good. That's why we need a Savior. It is only by grace through Christ that we receive eternal life. What God asks of us in return, is that whatever task it is we have been given, we simply do our best.

    ReplyDelete