Monday, February 16, 2009

Paul

My wife & I are attending a Bible Study called "No Experience Necessary" led by our Pastor's wife (also a pastor) Sue Ellen. The first couple of sections were on 2 Corinthians 5:11-21 and Galatians 5 :1-15. The Cor talks about New Creation & the Gal talks about Freedom.

An interesting thing (to me) is that Paul in Galatians 1 Paul starts it off with : 6 am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ and in 2 Corinthians 2 : 4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears; not so that you would be made sorrowful, but that you might know the love which I have especially for you. 5 But if any has caused sorrow, he has caused sorrow not to me, but in some degree--in order not to say too much--to all of you.

Paul was admonishing the Churches telling them to not stray from the doctrine that he preached. Another favorite Paul moment for me is 1 Cor 1 : 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.
16 Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.

Paul drove much of the faith that we Christians profess; it is interesting to me that he was so "angry" (not the right word but close).

epistle (n) formal a letter. • a poem or other literary work in the form of a letter or series of letters. • (also Epistle) a book of the New Testament in the form of a letter from an Apostle : St. Paul's epistle to the Romans. • an extract from an Epistle (or another New Testament book not a Gospel) that is read in a church service.

No comments:

Post a Comment