Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bread Making


I am making some bread with our bread machine.  I rotate between Whole Wheat bread and a Cranberry Walnut bread recipes.  Now I'm making the Cranberry Bread.  The recipe calls for Walnuts (see the title) but we substitute Raw Sunflower Seeds and add more cinnamon then it calls for.

The Whole Wheat recipe follows:

1 1/8 cup water
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/3 cup of homey
1 TBS of dry milk powder
1 1/2 TBS shortening
1 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast

however, I use Milk instead of the water & milk powder and canola oil instead of the shortening.  Plus we add 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 to 3/4 cups of Raw Sunflower seeds.  It tastes very good but is rather dense.  Plus we don't add the salt (since it isn't good for us).

I enjoy making the bread since it is so easy and we save on the store prices and the high fructose corn syrup that is added to most everything in the store.

A person who steals bread during a famine is not treated as a thief.  Cat Stevens

A poor man with nothing in his belly needs hope, illusion, more than bread.  Georges Bernanos

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities. Thomas Jefferson

Acorns were good until bread was found.  Francis Bacon

Advertising is the 'wonder' in Wonder Bread.  Jef I. Richards

At my age, I don't buy but a half a loaf of bread, you know?  Merle Haggard

Bread for myself is a material question. Bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.  Nikolai Berdyaev

No comments:

Post a Comment