Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Great TV Debate of '09

I was debating with a formidable opponent on the buying of a HDTV! I was on both sides! I want a HDTV but don't need a HDTV.

Pro HDTV guy looked at numerous reviews & saw a great price for a LG Electronics 37" 1080p HDTV. He talked to his lovely wife who said he could buy it if he really wanted it. He even went to the extent of putting it in the cart.

Then Con HDTV guy got into the act. He pointed out that they had a perfectly good CRT 27" TV & that they have a digital to analog converter box which presented them with close to HDTV pictures on the channels they watch the most.

Pro guy pointed out that the TV was numerous years old and though it worked perfectly now it was only a matter of time until it failed & if they had a Blu-Ray DVD player; think of the great pictures they would get plus most of the DVD movies they buy are widescreen and think of the wasted space on the old TV. Plus they could hook up their computer to it & view a big picture!

Back came Con saying we don't have a Blu-Ray DVD player & they are expensive! Plus you watch too much TV as it is! Plus why would they need to hook up their laptop to the HDTV monitor anyway!

Pro guy took it out of the cart even though the price had decreased & went to bed dreaming of beautiful TV shows & movies!

Pro guy when he woke up decided to sneak in & buy the TV. However, the HDTV had been sold out at the store that had the great price; woe was him!

Con guy laughed knowing he had won!

DECIDE (v.i.) To succumb to the preponderance of one set of influences over another set.
    A leaf was riven from a tree,
"I mean to fall to earth," said he.

The west wind, rising, made him veer.
"Eastward," said he, "I now shall steer."

The east wind rose with greater force.
Said he: "'Twere wise to change my course."

With equal power they contend.
He said: "My judgment I suspend."

Down died the winds; the leaf, elate,
Cried: "I've decided to fall straight."

"First thoughts are best?" That's not the moral;
Just choose your own and we'll not quarrel.

Howe'er your choice may chance to fall,
You'll have no hand in it at all.
G.J.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. My con guy almost always wins, although I try telling her that if I decide I don't want it I can always bring it back the next day. I felt elated, then sick this morning as I surveyed what had happened to the jacket and snowpants prices since I was last in Target on Saturday. On Saturday, they were 50% off. Good price. I bought some snowpants. Today they were 75% off. Great price, but the sizes I needed were already gone...Oh well. Shoulda bought 'em when I saw 'em. The boots were also 75% off, but I couldn't find any that were larger than size 11. Actually, I was hard pressed to find any that were larger than size 11 last fall when they first showed up on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete