Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hobgoblin

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like to do things in a certain way.  I like to sit in the same location at church & in choir.  I put my things in a particular place, i.e., my wallet & watch go in the same place when I get home. I like to go to the Ymca at a certain time, I like to use a particular locker (there is a locker island in the middle, I try to use one of the 4 corner lockers).  I like to use a particular shower (second one in on the left side as you enter the shower [it has a good spray & I know the temperature control for it]).

When I lead the Bible Study, I sit at the head & remove one of the 2 chairs.  When we drive anywhere I like to drive (I used to get car sick when I wasn't driving).

My wife recites an A. A. Milne poem The King's Breakfast
"Nobody,"
He whimpered,
"Could call me
A fussy man;
I only want
A little bit
Of butter for
My bread!"
I wonder if she thinks about me when she does!

consistency (n)  1 conformity in the application of something, typically that which is necessary for the sake of logic, accuracy, or fairness : the grading system is to be streamlined to ensure greater consistency. • the achievement of a level of performance that does not vary greatly in quality over time : his principal problem in tennis has been consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment