Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bread

My favorite bread recipe is as follows:

2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of oatmeal (I use Old Fashioned but Quick should work)
2/3 cup of dried cranberries (you could use other fruit to change the flavor)
1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp of vital wheat gluten (sometimes I don't add this but the bread is denser, though it still tastes good to me)

1 1/8 cup of water
1 1/2 tbsp of canola oil (you could probably use any kind or even butter but it is easier for me to just add the oil)
1 1/2 tsp of yeast

Notes : the recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of dried milk, but since I am trying to reduce milk products I don't add the milk ( before I used to just use skim milk for the water and dried milk and it worked well ). Also, I don't add the salt for my wife. But in my opinion it tastes good without it. Our bread maker has a beep to add the seeds and berries but I just add them with the dry stuff and it works well.

The bread has a nice crunchy taste from the sunflower seeds and a sweet taste from the cranberries. Plus it has only whole grains which are theoretically good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment